Friday, January 13, 2012

Brief Excursion to Brooklyn

Feeling spontaneous, I made a trip to Williamsburg, Brooklyn yesterday.



You'd never guess this house was in Brooklyn what with the nautical themed glass panel.



I did not go with the intention of having lunch, but I arrived at around 2pm, and wanted to leave around 3pm to beat the insane eastbound rush hour traffic.  I intended to have a bite once home, but when 3pm rolled around and I hadn't had anything but coffee for hours, I was feeling kind of sluggish and knew some form of sustenance was in order. While walking on Bedford Avenue, I happened upon a small, unassuming eatery called Supercore.  What caught my attention was the chalkboard outside proclaiming the lunch specials, in particular, the kimchee tofu. So I stepped inside, ordered the dish to go and was soon on my way. The staff was friendly and the clientele consisted of local hipster types: mainly 20-30 something men of low muscle mass working attentively on their Mac laptops, peeling away from their work here and there to have a bite from their plates.

 My kimchee with tofu:





The dish as you can see came with a generous helping of white rice, which I did not consume. As for what I did eat, the kimchee was pretty good; I am no kimchee connoisseur, but I do generally enjoy it. It was a bit on the sour side. The tofu -- two decent sized blocks underneath the heaping of pickled cabbage -- was plain and its cool simple taste was refreshing. The scallions were delish as always - you cannot go wrong with green onions, they delicately perk up any food with which they're paired.

I'll leave you with a photo of Christmas light-up decorations arranged on modest balcony space:



No comments:

Post a Comment