Monday, May 21, 2012

Vegan Banana Ice Cream

I haven't posted much in the past few months, not only because I was too busy to blog, but also because I was often too pressed for time to prepare interesting dishes! I will more than make up for it now that the semester is over.

Now for a few catch-up posts on dishes and food-related stuff since the last update.

Let's begin with bananas. Bananas are delicious, no? Well, in an effort to preserve quickly-browning bananas, I often slice them up and pack 'em into a plastic container, which I put in the freezer. People often freeze fruit to use for smoothies, but I'm not really into those. I find that, while delicious, smoothies like most liquid calories don't really keep me satiated. However, when frozen, these banana "chips" make for delectable nibbles. There is something about freezing this fruit that makes its sweetness extra-concentrated. 

Knowing how delicious frozen bananas are, I had always wanted to give vegan banana ice cream a go. Finally, about a week ago, I tried it, and it did not disappoint. Recipe after the jump!

Vegan Banana Ice Cream

Ingredients

frozen banana(s), sliced
non-dairy milk substitute (I used Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond milk)

Preparation

Place frozen banana slices in a food processor or blender. If you have a small food processor as I do and you are using more than one banana, I recommend putting the slices in in small batches. Pulse or blend, breaking up the slices. While blending, pause from time to time to add a bit of the soy or almond milk in order to lubricate (ahem) the mixture. Add as much milk substitute in between blending to your liking in order to achieve desired consistency. 

When it's creamy and smooth, it's ready for eatin'!

My boyfriend and I loved the ice cream with just these two ingredients, but there are endless variations to preparing this treat. Here are some suggestions:

- add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract (all natural) for extra vanilla flavor
- add some frozen berries (so the ratio to bananas is about 1:3) and make strawberry-banana or blueberry-banana ice cream!
- mix in carob chips after blending




No comments:

Post a Comment