Thursday, June 7, 2012

Israeli Couscous with Roasted Eggplant & Cinnamon-Cumin Dressing







Sometime last summer, I purchased this package of Israeli couscous from Trader Joe's on a whim (as I am prone to doing at TJ's).



And so, this pretty purple box with the decorative font and peek-through packaging (how cute is it that the "window" displaying the real couscous is within the photo of the prepared salad?) remained in my pantry, waiting patiently to be used, for, well, approximately one year. A few days ago, realizing that the grain's expiration date was nearing and desiring to cook some fibrous carbs other than the usual chickpeas and lentils, I picked up the package and, aimed with a recipe I happened upon at good ol' Epicurious, set out to prepare the couscous. I selected Israeli Couscous with Roasted Eggplant and Cinnamon-Cumin Dressing* because it sounded interesting - smoky and sweet - and because I happened to have most of the ingredients at hand.

This recipe does not disappoint. In fact, the couscous was delicious. The flavors are all detectable and in perfect balance; there is no taste that overwhelms the others. I almost skipped out on the golden raisins, but I am so glad that I didn't. The raisins contribute a chewiness to the smooth texture of the pearly couscous and perk up the dish with their delicate sweetness.


*Originally published in Bon Appetit July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment